Thanks! (Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7250)

You can write down your success stories here (temperature decreasements, power savings, etc).
Turgon

Thanks! (Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7250)

Post by Turgon » Tue 5. Oct 2010, 18:06

Hello. Since I undervolted my Ubuntu 10.04 installation, computer runs significantly cooler and quieter.

Default VIDs: 45 37 30 23 15
Undervolted VIDs: 32 28 19 0 0

I have been using PHC for quite some time, but just found your forums today, while looking for a Maverick Meerkat repository. (as we say in Spain: you only remember Santa Bárbara when it thunders) :lol:

Thanks a lot for your work!

bluesceada

Re: Thanks! (Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7250)

Post by bluesceada » Sat 29. Jan 2011, 17:46

Hi,

the same Levels also seem to work with my T7250 (I also had the same defaults!). But I would like to test if I can go further, or if it is really stable.

What are you doing to test the stability of your system and when do you know you can't undervolt more?

Thanks and Regards

Turgon

Post by Turgon » Sat 29. Jan 2011, 18:15

Hello. I obtained those VIDs a long time ago, and I don't have that computer anymore; but I will try to remember as much as I can. I followed this guide.

I think all the non-zero VIDs are actually 4 steps above the critical limit; and I decided to leave the last two at zero, because the script was not able to make the system unstable for those. To test these last two voltages, I forced my computer to run during 4 hours approximately at the corresponding CPU frequencies, which it did without a problem.

Please take this info with a grain of salt, since I am writing about something I did quite some time ago.

Best regards.

bluesceada

Post by bluesceada » Sun 30. Jan 2011, 23:08

Ah yeah, thanks anyway!
I think I will do similar, just try every frequency fixed and then do normal work for some time, and then stress test a bit, let two instances of cpuburn run (burnMMX and/or burnP6 probably), compile a kernel... let gimp process some pictures... etc.

Currently I don't have the time, but I will report back as soon as I tried it, this CPU seems to be able to really take much lower voltages than it was supposed to 8-)